Who became arrested?
The detainees consist of, per the BBC:
- Lengthy-established opposition figures James To, Lam Cheuk-ting [who posted a video of the moment he was arrested at home], Claudia Mo, and Benny Tai, one of the fundamental initiators of the primaries
- Younger expert-democracy campaigners Lester Shum, Gwyneth Ho, Tiffany Yuen, and Jeffrey Andrews
- Human rights lawyer John Clancey, the first U.S. citizen to be held beneath the national security regulation
- Two lecturers within the back of the primaries arrangement
- 13 candidates from the primaries
Police additionally searched the dwelling of activist Joshua Wong, who’s for the time being serving a 13.5-month sentence for his position in a 2019 squawk, and the locations of work of Apple Day-to-day, Stand News, and In-Media, which had all supported or participated within the foremost course of.
What does this mean?
Will the funds stick? It most likely doesn’t topic. As Hong Kong–based completely completely lawyer and author Antony Dapiran commented:
Modified into pondering whether or no longer all these arrests would within the shatter arise in courtroom, till I realised it doesn’t topic. The arrests themselves dangle the authorities’ design. By the time the courtroom course of has toddle its course, the injure to democracy and civil rights in Hong Kong shall be accomplished.
Or, per the New York Times: “The central Chinese government, which once wielded its vitality over Hong Kong with a level of discretion, has signaled its determination to openly impose its will on the metropolis.”
Briefly, the campaign of mass arrests signals the stop of the pretense of representative government in Hong Kong. Whenever you happen to don’t play by Beijing’s guidelines, you’ll be taken out of the game.